I created a fully-responsive website to coordinate with the release of my father's book, "ContraTravel".
- First web design; written from scratch in HTML/CSS
- needed to be fully responsive
- create a cohesive, unique design to unify across all pages
- coordinate with the book's release date
I did research, analysis as well as design, copy and development.
Though I had very little experience with HTML/CSS, I dove into learning and practicing. Over the 10-week course, I absorbed as much new information as I could to be able to use these new languages.
I drew out some rough sketches and ideas of how I would like to present the page. This was inspired by the energetic flow I felt in book's cover photo.
As I continued the design process, I began to realize that, as much as I loved the cover photo, it was really too noisy and would essentially impede readability.
So I decided to scrap the photo background in favor of a flatter, more 'material design'-influenced style - but still referencing the pallette of the photo in the choice of colors.
I did some simple wireframes for mobile and tablet, focused on the concept of 'mobile-first'.
Ultimately I created a simple, seamless, single page responsive design that has received praise from users as well as the author himself.
From this experience, I realized:
- how similar coding is to learning traditional language
- the intimate and beautiful relationship between HTML & CSS
- the proper language and structure for responsive design
- just how challenging programming can be
I am delighted to feel that I developed a wealth of knowledge of the inner workings of web development and working knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3. The process was challenging and very rewarding, and I am excited to continue to dive into development in the future, and continue to refine my design and coding sensibilities.
with a bit more time, I would:
- continue to deepen my familiarity and skills
- continue developing new projects