OVERVIEW

Working with a small team: 

  • I implemented Agile UX methodology
     
  • performed stakeholder & member interviews
     
  • created user stories and developed personas
     
  • designed 3 iterative clickable prototype and mockup iterations of a membership renewal portal.
     

CHALLENGES

  • being onboarded to the company as the primary UX designer for the project

  • complex, multi-level and siloed business processes

  • old, legacy IT systems

  • a lack of business-readiness and effective change-process systems in place

  • lack of sense of urgency and relative business immaturity of client
     

MY ROLE

I led the team as the primary UX designer, and was responsible for interviews, recording and processing user stories and the clickable prototype iterations.


'Pre-Mortem' excercise

Basic renewal touch points and workflow

Early member workflow layout

Later technical workflow

sketch early — and often

basic touch-points illustrated in first basic prototype

Initial wireframes and flow

first clickable prototype

the final prototype and mockup

responsive mobile mockup iteration

collapsible dashboard content in responsive mobile presentation


This project was the most business-centric I've experienced yet.  We worked closely with the client stakeholders to comprehend the needs, functionalities, and most important touchpoints and interactions. 
We began by discovering the current procedures and processes in place, and who was responsible for what.  

We conducted multiple meetings and workshops with the stakeholders, primarily relying on a 'Pre-Mortem' and Merrill Covey Matrix exercises to tease out the most telling data.  This helped us get a better sense of exactly how siloed the departments were, as well as who we would need to focus on for future discovery.  

Due to the complexity involved, I knew we would all benefit from cohesive shared understanding ASAP.  So I began cranking out multiple sketches to help continue the conversation, and allow us to begin to build a consensus on the necessary steps involved.  I used these conversations to build out an initial vision of the important wireframes and user flows.

Stakeholder review and approval of these initial steps was invaluable and helped me make huge refinements of the requirements.  These were built into an interactive, clickable prototype.  In the building process I also informally tested out on a variety of users, to check viability.    

 With subsequent meetings and reviews, I was able to adapt a final understanding of the needed steps.  I realized that, for this release cycle, the primary focus was on the member Dashboard, and member questionnaire.  So I focused on the prioritization of these in the final mockup.

Upon final approval, I also created a gif for the main UI as well as a style guide for the dev team.

Although it was out of scope for this sprint, I also make up a simple mobile-dashboard mockup, to inspire and lead future mobile development.


TAKEAWAYS

I learned a lot from the full life-cycle of this project, including:

  • how to effectively lead the design process, better communicate and contribute to the dynamics of a tight, Agile-based team
  •  the vital importance of business process, analysis, and readiness to the implementation of a healthy and complete UX design
  • the need to understand, respect and accommodate the unique process, speed, and expectations of the client
  • how to adapt the design within the context of a governmental, non-profit structure
  • to hone my skills in presenting to and managing high-priority clients
  • the language context of Proto.io and a deeper grasp of Sketch app and inVision

With more time, I would:

  • perform more extensive user interviews and research to find out the ideal data to present members in the dashboard content buckets
  • fully flesh out the tablet and mobile presentations as clickable prototypes
  • personally perform user tests on the final prototype
  • continue to design and apply the refined format and style across the client's digital services

In all, I felt extremely grateful to have worked with such a wonderful team, and in the context of such kind and sincere clients.
Feedback from my team and the client regarding the development and final prototype was almost universally positive, and final changes were relatively minor.